Thursday, August 9, 2012

Keeping them pure

As I walked around at Kinley's school orientation tonight I couldn't help but stare. 13 year old girls dressed in shorts so short you could see their panties had they not been wearing THONGS! Black eyeliner caked around their beautiful eyes. Padded bras in their barely there tank tops. I wondered do the moms just not care? Do they not think this is wrong?"

I am very tough on Kinley. I guard her from all I can. Shelter her mind. Cover her body. Protect her heart. I just feel all these things are important to maintain their pure spirits and keep their innocence. My heart aches for girls and women who lose this innocence to early it causes life long scars, I know this firsthand.

Part of me fears this school year. Kinley looks like a baby compared to these girls. I wonder will this hurt her self confidence that I worked so hard to help her build? Or will she stand tall and realize true beauty cannot be painted on that it comes from within? I worry her feelings will get hurt because she will not be that girl that all the boys like and chase after because she won't be doing or wearing things to catch his immature eye. Yet I have no doubt she will be that girl that a man will praise God for everyday for the rest of his life when they marry.

So as we start this school year I have worries, fears and concerns. I also have hope and happiness as I watch my baby girl start her first year of school as a teenager.

As a side note: I am not saying wearing make up or certain clothes etc are wrong but I just think with make up less is more and with clothes the longer the better;)

1 comment:

  1. You are SO right, Ash! It's so important as moms to keep them pure for as long as possible. She's a precious girl and you are an amazing momma! I'll be praying for her this year as she enters a whole new world that is Junior High School. Ugh - there's a part of me that just wants to skip right past those years. :)

    ReplyDelete